Background

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Updated Kidney News

To start out, last week this little guy passed his BPP in 4 minutes! I already feel like a bragging mother and he isn't even born yet! His NST's have been great and even categorized at "text book." This prompted me to ask my DR if I really did need to come every week for the BPP and NST's since he is passing with flying colors and she said yes b/c they want to make sure that he still does this great and that my fluid level stays consistent and that the kidneys don't get any bigger. Well, so much for that. I had my follow up level II ultrasound with the Perinatologist on Wednesday this week and it wasn't horrible news, but not great news either. The kidneys have dilated more which is what they were hoping would not happen. They are now measuring at 1.37cm on the right and 1.34cm on the left. They are measuring/weighing him in at a whopping 6lbs and one oz right now!! Which is only in the 63% for being 35weeks and 5 days. I was 8lbs 15oz when I was born and Jared was 8lbs 14.5 oz, so we both are assuming that he will be right around there when he is born.

What they are saying he has by the looks of the ultrasounds are Moderate Bilateral Pyelectasis w/Hydronephrosis along with a probable Mild Posterior Urethral Valves. So in layman's English terms now! Pyelectasis is the enlargement of the part of the kidney that collects urine (the renal pelvis) from 4 to 10 millimeters in diameter. Bilateral for those of you who might not know what that means is that both the kidneys are dilated, not just one. Posterior Urethral Valves (PUV) is an abnormality that occurs when the urethral valves, which are small leaflets of tissue, have a narrow, slit-like opening that partially impedes the urine flow. This is thought to develop in the early stages of fetal development and occurs more often in males vs. females. During the ultrasound his bladder was very large/distended b/c he wouldn't pee. We waited an extra 20-30 minutes for him to pee to see if the kidneys would get a little smaller with the urine being released from them down to the bladder but this kid would just not pee! From all of these findings we have a consult appt with a Pediatric Urologist on Tues Jan 5th to discuss what all this means, what to do until he is born, and what will be done after he is born. I am assuming they will for sure do an ultrasound on him after he is born in which they would be able to see much better what is going on in there since they won't have to go through my body to see him. We will find out much more next Tuesday when we meet with the doctor.

For those of who you are thinking of questions let me throw some more information out there. They will not take him early due to what is going on. The only reason they would is if my amniotic fluid level gets too low which right now is at 13.1 and they consider low at 7.9. This would mean that he is taking in the fluid but not putting it back out. I did ask that with all this going on if it meant that we would have to have c-section and both my DR and the perinatologist said no. Unless, when I am in labor he is showing signs of distress, I don't progress, or any other issue which could happen to any baby and any mom during the labor process. I do have quite a bit of swelling in my legs but they check my urine every time for protein and those levels have been great too. I have had some high blood pressure for a couple weeks which we have been monitoring but it looks like it is on its way back down to normal. Everyone asks if I have been having contractions and so far no. But you are asking someone who has never felt a contraction in her life if she has them so I really don't know! I'm assuming from what they have been described as that I have not or I would know. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away. As of right now this is all the information I have but after Tuesday I will have more to update you on. Jared and I hope everyone had a great 2009 and has a better 2010!!

No comments:

Post a Comment