Background

Thursday, December 10, 2009

BPP and NST's Weekly

Don't worry if you don't understand that title as I will explain it all. From the level II ultrasound we had done before Thanksgiving, the perinatologist recommended that the little guy have weekly BPP's (Bio Physical Profile) and NST's (Non Stress Tests) done. The bio physical profile consits of 5 criteria in which each criteria gets a score of 2 points to get a total of 10 points for everything. #1 Fetal Breathing - one episode of fetal breathing for more than 30 seconds. #2 Gross Fetal Movement - more than 3 body, limb, discrete or separate movements. #3 Fetal Tone - one episode of extension/flexion of limbs, head, or trunk. #4 Amniotic Fluid Volume - more than 2cm if more than 36 weeks and more than 3cm if less then 36 weeks. #5 is the NST test in which I am hooked up to the fetal monitor for 20 minutes and he has to show a stable heart rhythm with accelerations. If he scores an 8/10 then I just have to come back the next week for my next BPP/NST. If he scores a 6/10 then I have to come back the next day to have another BPP/NST done. If at any point he completely fails his NST and scores lower then a 6, I would be sent to Methodist Hospital to have extensive monitoring that could last anywhere from 6-10 hours all depending on what they are seeing from him. If during the monitoring anytime at Methodist they don't like what they see, then my DR said they will talk about delivery (SCARY thought as I am only 33 weeks on Sat). I asked if that meant a C-section and she said not necessarily as it would depend on how he is doing and if they feel like he would be okay for another 36 hours to induce and try a vaginal delivery. If they don't feel he is better off staying in for another 36 hours then they will do a C-section. Today he passed with flying colors at he got 8/8 in 13 minutes. They allow 30 minutes to score 8 point for the BPP. I did not have to do the NST today (hence the out of 8 points today) since I was on the monitor 2 days away at my DR's appt. For right now that is all that is going on with him/us. I am starting to get a cold so that is going to be really fun. I have my first shower on Sunday as I am really looking forward to that! At the level II ultrasound the tech pointed out a hair that was sticking straight up from his head which I was skeptical to believe but then again today the rad tech pointed out his hair so I started to believe them that he has hair! I actually got a really cute picture today that you can see his face, chin, and his chubby cheeks!! I will try to get some pictures up sunday from this ultrasound and the shower.

3 comments:

  1. Linnea and I had to go through both of those weekly. Our little clinic had the same tech, so by the end, we got very friendly with the woman, and she made us promise to show her the baby after she was born. The NST are boring though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you and your baby that these tests continue to go well. I also just wanted to let you know that Nathaniel was born at 33 1/2 weeks and was fine, just small. I'm sure that if they decide that he needs to come early they will give you the shots to develope his lungs first, if possible. He would have to spend some time in the NICU, but hopefully just to get bigger and learn how to eat. It's so good that you get another week until the next one. Each week that passes makes a huge difference on his development! Good luck momma and daddy, I know this seems like a lot right now, but just think you could be in the hospital on bed-rest until he's born..... Your plight doesn't seem so bad now, huh? Keep your chin up. In a couple of years this will all be a distant memory for you both! Lisa C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish the best to you,Jared and baby. It's amazing how far medicine has come over the years in caring for moms and babies.

    ReplyDelete